August Prayer Update
Dear Prayer Partners,
Hope all of you have had a great month! I’m sure that many of you are busy preparing for school to start and other things that begin at the start of a new school year. It is the start of something new for us too. We have officially been here for one full year and this is the start of our second. We are excited about all the new things that are going to take place this year and we praise God for helping us through this first year on the field. We know that we could not have made it without all of your continued prayers, so again, thank you for your part in what God is doing with us here in the Philippines.
I’ve been thinking back about one of our first prayer letters when we arrived here and what I quoted in it. I said “When interviewing retired missionaries and those still on the field, almost all said the first year on the field was the hardest of their lives!” I think that we can honestly say that it has been true for us too. We still have so much to learn and adjust to, but we feel better now that the first year is behind us and we are ready to take on the second!
Family Struggles
As many of you know we have been having a hard time these last months. Here is an update on the pregnancy and what we are doing now.
I continue to have problems with this pregnancy and am pretty much on bed rest most of the time. The problem being that I have had contractions since the 2nd month. I am now in the middle of my 5th month and they still have not stopped. With the help of some medicine that tries to stop the contractions I can go downstairs and be with my family (and maybe cook), once a day. I have tried to go places and do a little shopping with Gilmer, but it continues to be hard, so I must mostly stay home. Of course this poses problems all around, both in our own family and in ministry as well. Gilmer has had to take over all of the household stuff and the kids. Not to mention take care of me as well. We are thankful for a friend that comes during the week to help with the chores and cleaning, and just this last week Gilmer’s brother arrived to live with us for awhile. We asked his youngest brother (who is single and not working) if he could come and help Gilmer out with the kids. Both of these have been great blessings during this time. We would appreciate your continued prayers, though. It’s hard enough not being near family and friends (or in your own country) who could offer help and encouragement, but even more so not really knowing what is going on with the pregnancy and why I am having these problems. We have a nice doctor at the best hospital in the Philippines, so we are happy with medical options open to us. Praise God that the last ultrasound showed that the baby is fine and growing right on schedule. You might be able to see my growing stomach in some of the new pictures.
Ministry
Because of these problems with the pregnancy and the need for Gilmer to be home with the kids - since I can’t take care of them - he has had to stop all involvement in ministry at this time. (Of course he is very busy ministering to the needs of his family, which, according to him, has been the hardest thing he has ever had to do.) The good thing is that I am still able to have language class because my teacher is willing to come to my house everyday and work with me, even from my bed most of the time. She has been a great help. This also gives me something to do besides feel unproductive just being in bed.
Praises
Bahay Kubo

These are the traditional houses of the tribal people in the Northern Philippines.
Kitty

Now I am not all alone in my room, this is the new member of our family.
Kids

They are getting so big!
Gilmer and Julie

Hope all of you have had a great month! I’m sure that many of you are busy preparing for school to start and other things that begin at the start of a new school year. It is the start of something new for us too. We have officially been here for one full year and this is the start of our second. We are excited about all the new things that are going to take place this year and we praise God for helping us through this first year on the field. We know that we could not have made it without all of your continued prayers, so again, thank you for your part in what God is doing with us here in the Philippines.
I’ve been thinking back about one of our first prayer letters when we arrived here and what I quoted in it. I said “When interviewing retired missionaries and those still on the field, almost all said the first year on the field was the hardest of their lives!” I think that we can honestly say that it has been true for us too. We still have so much to learn and adjust to, but we feel better now that the first year is behind us and we are ready to take on the second!
Family Struggles
As many of you know we have been having a hard time these last months. Here is an update on the pregnancy and what we are doing now.
I continue to have problems with this pregnancy and am pretty much on bed rest most of the time. The problem being that I have had contractions since the 2nd month. I am now in the middle of my 5th month and they still have not stopped. With the help of some medicine that tries to stop the contractions I can go downstairs and be with my family (and maybe cook), once a day. I have tried to go places and do a little shopping with Gilmer, but it continues to be hard, so I must mostly stay home. Of course this poses problems all around, both in our own family and in ministry as well. Gilmer has had to take over all of the household stuff and the kids. Not to mention take care of me as well. We are thankful for a friend that comes during the week to help with the chores and cleaning, and just this last week Gilmer’s brother arrived to live with us for awhile. We asked his youngest brother (who is single and not working) if he could come and help Gilmer out with the kids. Both of these have been great blessings during this time. We would appreciate your continued prayers, though. It’s hard enough not being near family and friends (or in your own country) who could offer help and encouragement, but even more so not really knowing what is going on with the pregnancy and why I am having these problems. We have a nice doctor at the best hospital in the Philippines, so we are happy with medical options open to us. Praise God that the last ultrasound showed that the baby is fine and growing right on schedule. You might be able to see my growing stomach in some of the new pictures.
Ministry
Because of these problems with the pregnancy and the need for Gilmer to be home with the kids - since I can’t take care of them - he has had to stop all involvement in ministry at this time. (Of course he is very busy ministering to the needs of his family, which, according to him, has been the hardest thing he has ever had to do.) The good thing is that I am still able to have language class because my teacher is willing to come to my house everyday and work with me, even from my bed most of the time. She has been a great help. This also gives me something to do besides feel unproductive just being in bed.
Praises
- That the baby is ok and continues to grow!
- For Gilmer’s brother being able to come and help us.
- That we have a good doctor and hospital we are comfortable with.
- That I can continue to learn the language even if I am on bed rest.
Prayer Requests
- For continued safety for the baby, and healing for the pregnancy.
- Gilmer as he takes care of the kids and house (not really his cup of tea - but he is doing a great job!). This is also hard on the kids who are not used to Mommy not being as involved as she was before. They are acting up a bit.
- What team to choose after language school. We were supposed to move to the new team (which we are still deciding about) in December, but as of now (since the baby is due at the end of December and the impossibility of me moving any time soon) we maybe have to look at other options and postpone going to the new team until after January.
- If we do need to stay here longer please pray that the owner of the house we are renting will be open to us staying past the contract date.
- For continued spiritual growth and encouragement during this time.
Please feel free to e-mail or call us (contact info is on the blog) if you want more details. We try to keep this short and to the point since we know so many are busy. Again we love to hear from you.
Blessings to all of you,
The Paden’s
Bahay Kubo

These are the traditional houses of the tribal people in the Northern Philippines.
Kitty

Now I am not all alone in my room, this is the new member of our family.
Kids

They are getting so big!
Gilmer and Julie

We were able to go on a much needed weekend trip away from the house a couple weeks ago.
Comments